On This Day in 1983, Bon Jovi, the American rock band from New Jersey, was born.
Jon Bon Jovi began playing piano and guitar in 1975 with his first band ‘Raze’. At 16, Jon met David Bryan and formed a band named ‘Atlantic City Expressway’. After playing in various bands and playing in local clubs, Jon visited a radio station in New York in 1983, where he wrote and sung jingles for the station. It was suggested by the promotion director, John Lassman, for the song ‘Runaway’ to be included on the station’s compilation album of local homegrown talent. Jon was reluctant at first but eventually gave them the song.
The song began to get airplay in the New York area and in March 1983 Jon Bon Jovi called David Bryan, who in turn called bassist Alec John Such and an experienced drummer Tico Torress. Jon then added Richie Sambora as lead guitarist after Richie went to a show and after being impressed by Bon Jovi, approached him and informed him that they should work together. They immediately hit it off as friends, and Richie was invited to a rehearsal. By the time Jon arrived, the band was sounding better than ever and Richie Sambora was hired on the spot.
Their debut album ‘Bon Jovi’ was released on 21st January 1984. Other career highlights…
- The first two singles from Slippery When Wet – You Give Love a Bad Name & Livin’ on a Prayer – both reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
- In September 1989, Jon and Richie performed Livin’ on a Prayer and Wanted Dead or Alive with two acoustic guitars on the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards. This Performance has generally been acknowledged as the inspirational spark that lead to the MTV Unplugged series.
- In 1991, Jon Bon Jovi fired his management, business advisers and agents, including his long-time manager Don McGhee. Jon took on all responsibilities himself by closing ranks and creating Bon Jovi Management.
- Bon Jovi won Best International Group at the 1996 Brit Awards.
- Bon Jovi became the first band ever to play on the roof of the O2 Arena in London in June 2010.
- Bon Jovi (1984)
- 7800 Fahrenheit (1985)
- Slippery When Wet (1986)
- New Jersey (1988)
- Keep The Faith (1992)
- These Days (1995)
- Crush (2000)
- Bounce (2002)
- Have a Nice Day (2005)
- Lost Highway (2007)
- The Circle (2009)
- What About Now (2013)