- Walter Elias Disney was born on 5th December 1901 in Chicago, Illinois.
- Walt and his brother, Roy O. Disney founded the Walt Disney Company
- Walt was the original voice for Mickey Mouse.
- Walt Disney died from lung cancer on 15th December 1966 in Burbank, California
- Wife, Lillian Disney, born 15th February 1899. Died 16th December 1997
- Mickey Mouse’s birthday is November 18, 1928, the date when Steamboat Willie (1928) was released.
- He was a chain smoker. He avoided smoking when he was in public view, especially where he might be seen by children. His smokers’ cough often heralded his arrival in a particular wing of the studio, allowing off-task employees time to get on task.
- He got his idea and inspiration for Disneyland, when he visited the “Tivoli”-park in Denmark.
- Was first nominated for an Oscar (as producer) in 1932, the year he also got the honorary award for creating Mickey Mouse. From that year until 1965 (the year before his death), Disney received one or more Academy Award nominations every year except 1933 and 1941.
The last animated movie he ever put his personal touch on was The Jungle Book (1967).
Has a record of 59 Oscar-nominations.
- His favorite song was “Feed the Birds” from Mary Poppins (1964). When he was depressed Walt would call Richard M. Sherman to his office and have him play the song. According to Sherman, the song held special meaning for Disney; he considered it to be a perfect summation of the spirit of his company, and why he created Walt Disney Pictures in the first place.
Tom Hanks is a distant relative of Walt Disney. Hanks portrayed Walt Disney in the 2013 film Saving Mr. Banks (2013).
I don’t make pictures just to make money. I make money to make more pictures.
Troublepink’s Top Disney Moments: